Chapter 5 TEST
Rocks and Minerals II
1-4. Name the four eras of geologic time in order from the oldest era to present era.
5. What was the dominant animal of the Mesozoic?
6. What was the dominant animal of the Cenozoic?
7-9. What three forces cause weathering?
10-12. Name the three processes that form sedimentary rocks.
13. How does coal form?
14-15. What is the
of stalagmites and stalactites.
16. What is a metamorphic rock?
Page 2 Chapter 5 Test
#17-26 Match the following terms with the corresponding definition.
17. ____ Shale A. The parent rock of this
metamorphic rock is limestone.
18. ____ Marble B. A metamorphic rock that is
similar to granite in composition.
19. ____ Regional C. Breaking down of rock by ice, Metamorphic wind, and water.
20. ____ Physical D. A sedimentary rock made of Change calcium carbonate.
21. ____ Gneiss E. A type of metamorphism caused by extreme heat from volcanic activity.
22. ____ Limestone F. A type of metamorphism caused by large scale mountain building.
23. ____ Weathering G. Broken pieces of rock.
24. ____ Contact H. The most common Metamorphism sedimentary rock produced by the cementarion of clay and silt.
25. ____ Sediment I. The laying down of sediment by natural causes.
26. ____ Deposition J. Mountain building, climate
27. ____ Biological K. Fish to amphibian to reptile to Change mammal