Answer Key for Discussion and Hyperstudio Questions
Lesson 7 "Lava Flows and Pyroclasts
Thought and Discussion Questions
- What caused the death of so many people during the second eruption of Vesuvius?
Pyroclastic flows of 700 degree ash, gas, and pyroclasts moving of around 70 miles
per hour swept over the city killing over 20,000 people.
- What is a pyroclastic flow?
A turbulent mixture of very hot gas, ash, and pyroclasts flowing down the side of
a mountain at from 70 -200 miles per hour.
- Describe pahoehoe and aa lava flows.
Pahoehoe lava has a smooth and ropey texture. Pahoehoe forms when the lava flows
at a slower speed, cooling slowly. Aa lava has a rough and fragmented surface.
The lava forms when the lava flows at a fast speed, cooling quickly.
- What is a pyroclast and how do they form?
- Write a definition for the following;
1) High viscosity 2) Low viscosity
Lesson 8 "Volcanic Cones and Eruptions"
No Content Center Today!!
- Name the six eruption types and the three cone shapes.
- Describe how a:
Shield cone forms
Cinder cone forms
- Draw diagrams to represent the six eruption types.
Lesson 9 "Hot Spots-Hawaii and Yellowstone"
- What is a Hot Spot?
- How does and hot spot form?
- How does a caldera form?
Other Lessons To VolcanoWorld