Chapter 1 Schedule
Explain to your class that they will be working in three centers for science over
the next few weeks. They need a science notebook, a pencil, and colored pencils
daily. Some days they will need more lab equipment.
If you would like to get a copy of any of the Reveiws, Tests, or questions. Select the print option from your File Menu.
Split your class into 3 groups. Each group will start at a different center. The
three centers are the Hands-On Center, the Content Center, and the Computer Center.
Have books dealing with Earth Science at each center for those who finish their
- Reading and Thinking Sheets for each student- See Content Lesson #1
- Hands-On materials- See Hands-On Lesson #1
- 1 apple for every four students
- 1 knife for teacher use only!!
Each center will last approximately 15 minutes. When everyone in the
class has finished their work in the center rotate the groups. When all the groups have
been at each center review with the whole class by correcting the questions from the
Computer Center and the Content Center.
If your class is very large you may want to set up a fourth center. This could
be called the Vocabulary Center. There is a Student Vocabulary Sheet and a Teacher
Vocabulary Sheet provided in the Copy Masters file.
- One copy of Lesson #2 Content Sheets for each student
- Hands-On Materials:
- Two maps (Pangaea, World today) for the students to study.
- Two "World Cut Up" maps for each student pair to cut into the seven moving continental plates.
- Two pieces of blue construction paper (9 X 12) that will represent the oceans of the world.
- Colored Markers
Follow the same lesson plan for day one. Start the groups at a different center each day.
- One copy of Content Lesson # 3 for each student
- Four strips of foam rubber 4 inches by 30 inches and about 1 inch thick. The foam rubber should be made of different colors. These strips will represent layers (strata) in the crust of the earth. (See Hands-On lesson #3)
Follow the same lesson plan design as in Day One and Two. Start the groups at a different center from the previous day
Review Vocabulary Sheets by playing a game called Baseball.
- One die
- One baseball diamond transparency
- Four markers for the runners
Break your class into two teams.
Ask a student a question. If they answer correctly award them the base
that they rolled with the die. (See rules below) If they answer incorrectly their
team is out. One out per inning.
Rules for the game
- Shake the die
- home run
- Ask the question-If they answer correctly award them the base that they rolled
with the die. Place a marker on the base that they earned. If there is a runner
on base ahead of them move the runner the same amount of bases as the batter. If
they answer incorrectly their team is out. One out per inning.
- Keep rolling and asking questions until a player answers incorrectly. When they
answer incorrectly switch batting teams.
Have the students work on the Review provided in the Copy Masters.
Correct the Review and play Baseball or another review game. After the students have
learned Baseball they can play it in their groups with copies of the diamond.
Test the students using the Test provided in the Copy Masters.
Other Lessons To VolcanoWorld