Lesson 1 "The Earth's Layers"
- How did Andrija Mohorovicic discover that the Earth's crust is made of less dense rock than the mantle.
- Write in your own words the definition of a discontinuity.
- Name the four layers of the Earth in order from the outside to the
center of the Earth.
- What causes the mantle to "flow"?
- What are the two main metals that make up the outer and inner core?
- Describe in your own words how the Earth's layers were formed. Card 2 "The Four Layers" will help you
Lesson 2 "Pangea to the Present"
- In your own words explain what the Continental Drift Theory states.
- How did Alfred Wegener try to prove that the continents of Africa and South America were once connected.
- How did the ancient people of Japan explain earthquakes?
- How did the ancient Romans explain the presence volcanoes.
Lesson 3 "How Plates Move"
- What causes mountain building?
- What is the difference between how folded mountains and block-fault mountains are formed.
- How do dome mountains form?
- In your own words explain what happens at a subduction zone.
- In your own words explain what happens at a mid-ocean ridge.
- At a subduction zone what causes magma to rise?