- Volcano List
- Learn More
- All About Volcanoes
- Kids Only!
- Adventures and Fun
- Sitemap (Under Construction)
_____Answer Key ___
1. What is the name of the most common rock on the surface of the Earth?
2. In your own words give a definition of the term, ROCK.
Rocks are made of two or more different minerals that have been 1) cemented together, or 2) squeezed and heated together, or 3) melted and cooled together. Rocks make up the majority of the Earth's crust. One of the most common rock is granite.
3. What are the four minerals that are found in most granite
Feldspar, mica, quartz, and hornblende
4. What is weathering?
The break down of rock by wind, water, or ice into smaller pieces.
5. What are the three types of rocks?
Sedimentary, Igneous, and Metamorphic.
6. Draw a diagram and explain what happens in the rock
7. In your own words describe what a mineral is.
A mineral is a solid material, made of one substance, that occurs naturally on Earth.
Most of the common minerals are made of crystals. A Crystal is a solid formed by a repeating, three-dimensional pattern of atoms, ions, or molecules and having fixed distances between the different parts.
8. What is the name of the mineral that is magnetic?
9. What does the term property of a mineral mean?
A property is a characteristic of a mineral. Properties help scientists to better understand how the mineral was formed and also to help identify a mineral.
10-22 Match the following terms with the corresponding letter.
10.__ F__ Luster a. A large intrusive igneous body
larger than 100 square km
11. _A__Batholith b. An intrusive igneous body that
runs parallel to layers of rock.
12. _D__Non-metallic c. A property of minerals that is
measured with the Mohs Scale
13. _E__Dike d. A mineral that will not
14. _G__cleavage e. An intrusive igneous body
that runs through layers of rock.
15. _B__Sill f. A property of minerals that
indicates the "shininess" of a mineral
16. _C__Hardness g. A property of a mineral that
describes how a minerals into flat planes.
17. _A__Intrusive a. An igneous rock that is formed under the surface of the Earth.
18. _F__Metallic b. An igneous rock that is formed on the surface of the Earth.
19. _E__Streak c. Molten rock that has not reached the surface of the Earth.
20. _D__Lava d. Molten rock that has reached
the surface of the Earth.
21. _B__Extrusive e. A test to determine the true
color of a mineral.
22. _C__Magma f. a mineral that conducts electricity
23-30 Write the correct term rock or mineral after each word below.