Review Chapter 1
The Earth: A Dynamic Planet
Name Answer Key
- Draw two diagrams showing the folding and fault-block mountain building process.
Fault-block mountain building process
- In your own words explain how convection currents in the mantle move the plates of the Earth.
The deepest portion of the mantle is much hotter than the upper mantle. Hot material rises to the top of the mantle and then cools and sinks. This rising and sinking happens in a circular motion which turns over and over. As it turns it moves the upper region of the mantle and the crust with it.
Use the following terms to answer the questions 3-14 below.
|Collision plate boundary
||Transverse plate boundary
||Separation plate boundary
|Continental Drift Theory
- The southern continent after Pangea split apart. It became the continents of Africa, Antarctica, South America and the subcontinent of India.
- The plate boundary where two plates are moving apart creating new crust and making the oceans spread.
Separation Plate Boundary
- This is molten rock on the surface of the Earth.
- This is the name of the supercontinent 250 million years ago.
- These are pieces of the crust that "float" and move because of the mantle's convection currents.
- Molten rock under the surface of the Earth is called.
- The northern continent after Pangea split.
- A long crack in the crust is called a Fault .
- A plate boundary in which the two plates crash into each other causing mountain building, earthquakes, and volcanic activity.
Collision Plate Boundary
- The idea that the Earth's plates are moving across the surface of the Earth.
Continental Drift Theory
- A plate boundary in which the two plates are sliding in opposite directions.
Transverse Plate Boundary
- The deepest area of the oceans. They are formed at a subduction zone.
- What is the main material that the crust is made of?
- What two metals are the main components of the inner and outer core?
Iron and Nickel
- Name three pieces of evidence that scientists have used to base their ideas for the Continental Drift theory on.
Scientists have used magnetic bands in rocks to prove that the continents have drifted apart, fossils of tropical plants and animals that have been found in places like Antarctica and Greenland, and fossils of fish found in high mountain regions.
18-21 Label the four layers of the Earth and explain what the main materials are that make up each layer.
1.Crust 2.Mantle 3.Outer Core 4. Inner Core